I first read this series in a library back in 2004. I’m a slow reader and these 500 page novels I still managed to finish within two weeks each. There were eight books at the time:
- The Puritans-set around the time the first colonists’ arrived in America and follows Drew Morgan who is the Patriarch of the fictitious Morgan family and the legacy he passed down with a 1611 King James Bible he inherited from his Father-n-law and spiritual mentor, Christopher Matthews.
- The Colonists’-Fasts forward to the early 18th century with the three kids of Drew’s great-grandson Benjamin Morgan. That would make the kids 5th generation Morgans in this series. This is by far my favorite novel and I sincerely felt a spiritual revival reading this and the one to follow.
- The Patriots-Jared and Anne Pierpont Morgan (Ben Morgan’s youngest son and his wife) and their twin boys Jacob and Esau Morgan. This story is set in the time of the American Revolution and features a cast of characters that make up our founding fathers. Each son makes up one side in the American Revolution.
- The Adversaries-Fasts forward to the Civil War with the surviving twin’s grandson the honorable Reverend Jeremiah Morgan and the founding of the Heritage Churches of America and his four kids. There’s a surprise heir to the Morgan line at the end.
- The Pioneers-Takes place around the turn of the century with Jess Morgan pursuing a woman halfway across the early settlements of the U.S. territory. Jess is the son of the surprise heir in the previous novel and the 10th generation in the Morgan line with the same Bible.
- The Allies-Features Jess’s and his wife’s son and daughter during the time of the Great War of the early 20th century.
- The Victors-Jess Morgan’s four grandkids by his son during the time of World War Two.
- The Peacemakers’-Jess’s great grandkids Travis and Paige Morgan and features Paige as a college bound hippie and Travis lost in the world of the Vietnam War Era. My second favorite novel.
- The Guardians-Came out around the time of the 21st century and is the more recent novel which means it classifies as contemporary fiction now with the 14th generation of the Morgan clan nearly 400 years after Drew Morgan set foot on American soil. The family in the last two book have migrated all the way to Southern California and Las Vegas, Nevada with Travis Morgan’s twin boys and a suprise trip to the ruins of Edenford where the legacy started with Drew’s salvation.
I bought the latest book for $2.99 on my free Amazon kindle for pc and I intend to reread this entire series. Only this time I will be purchasing each book so I can reread once every decade for spiritual enlightenment. Maybe I’m weird but I felt a spiritual revival just reading this series. It actually got me into historical fiction.